11 June 2013

"When I was at Elkton Hills, I roomed for about two months with this boy, Harris Macklin. He was...one of the biggest bores I ever met...But he could do one thing. The sonuvabitch could whistle better than anybody I ever heard. He'd be making his bed...and he'd be whistling while he did it...He could whistle [anything] and whistle it so nice and easy...that it could kill you.

Naturally, I never told him I thought he was a terrific whistler. I mean you don't just go up to somebody and say "You're a terrific whistler." But I roomed with him for about two whole months, even though he bored me till I was half crazy, just because he was such a terrific whistler, the best I ever heard. So I don't know about bores. Maybe you shouldn't feel too sorry if you see some swell girl getting married to them. They don't hurt anybody, most of them, and maybe they're secretly all terrific whistlers or something. Who the hell knows? Not me."

~J.D. Salinger, Catcher in the Rye


No comments:

Post a Comment