13 August 2012

On Women Who Say They're Not Feminist

"I used to think, What do you think feminism IS, ladies? What part of 'liberation for women' is not for you? Is it freedom to vote? The right not to be owned by the man you marry? The campaign for equal pay? 'Vogue,' by Mondnna? Jeans? Did all the good shit GET ON YOUR NERVES? Or were you just DRUNK AT THE TIME OF THE SURVEY?

These days, however, I am much calmer--since I realized that it's technically impossible for a woman to argue against feminism. Without feminism, you wouldn't be allowed to have a debate on a woman's place in society. You'd be too busy giving birth on the kitchen floor--biting down on a woodden spoon, so as not to disturb the men's card game--before going back to hoeing the rutabaga field. This is why those female columnists in the Daily Mail--giving daily wail against feminism--amuse me. They paid you  £1,600 for that, dear, I think. And I bet it's going into your bank account, and not your husband's."

~Caitlin Moran, How to Be a Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment