11 June 2012

Mezzanine Week

On growing up:

"And this was when I realized abruptly that as of that minute (impossible to say exactly which minute), I had finished with whatever large-scale growth I was going to have as a human being...I was was set: I was the sort of person who said "actually" too much. I was the sort of person who stood in a subway car and thought about buttering toast--buttering raisin toast, even: when the high-crisped scrape of the butter knife is muted by occasional contact with the soft, heat-blimped forms of the raisins, and when if you cut across a raisin, it will sometimes fall right out, still intact through dented, as you lift the slice. I was the sort of person whose biggest discoveries were likely to be tricks to applying toiletries while fully dressed. I was a man, but I was not nearly the magnitude of man I had hoped I might be."

~Nicholson Baker, The Mezzanine

No comments:

Post a Comment