24 November 2011

“Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh?" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand. "I just wanted to be sure of you.”

~A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Despite the fact that it's over-commercialized, has engendered an abusive animal-farm industry, and is nothing more than a smokescreen that covers the start of the harrowing genocide perpetuated by European settlers upon the Native peoples of this continent...

there is still something I love about Thanksgiving. I like a holiday that is, even nominally, about gratitude.

I am thankful for the hands I get to hold, and
all the hands I have held
even when those hands were only
in my head

I am thankful for loves I get to love
and the folds of love
that surround me

I am thankful for words
which
apart from
beauty
and exactness

let me start down the road
of reminding
all the people I have or will love
that they are
loved

I am thankful for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment